Our firehouse at the end of the street, across from what was Farrel's Foundry. I onw the brass marker that was on the foundry's front door, I got it on Ebay for $5.00. Anyway, when I was a kid I was told that the Irish people built thier fire house to put out fires at irish houses and that the WASPs, when Ansonia still had WASPs, had their own fire houses for their people. I don't know if its true, but that's what I was told. The old fashion fire engine to the right of the building was a gift from the Bouys at Tammany Hall...again...that's what I was taught as a kid, I don't know if its true or not.

This is Town Hall and this is exactly what it looked like when I was kid...our Mayor was Mr. Doyle, a nice, cheerful man. I met him once at a church function. Remarkably, he never forgot my name. That's impressive.

"View from a Bridge" Before the law made the factories stop pouring tons of chemical into the poor Naugatuck River, just under this bridge, the stench was sometimes just awful....no where near as bad as the smell of burned rubber that covered the nearby city of Naugatuck, but still, it could be pretty awful.

In all the years I lived in Ansonia, I never once saw anyone enter or leave this building, which was only a block away frommy house....go figure

These stairs are in the Ansonia Library. I have no idea where they go, up to the tower I suppose...look at the detail in this property...the lady who built it was a New Yorker, Mrs. Philips, her father was Anson Philips for whome the city is named, Ansonia although I gotta tell ya, i really thing "Philips, Connecticut" has more of New Englandie type ring to it, you know? The same family, or a branch of it anyway, built Dodge City, Kansas.
The Post office, another building I never went in...its a pretty nice post office for a small town isn't it?

When I was a kid this plaza wasn't there. It was a bunch of dirty red brick building ruined by the flood in 1955 or 1960 or whenever that was, then, for years, this was a vacant lot. If you look way over in back of the plaza you see a red brick building. Once, that building housed one of the finest theaters in New England. (No not the Capitol Theater, that was a movie house on the other side of the property)

The Armory....this was at the end of my street...there was a massive artillary piece on the lawn...think about how great that was for little kids....you want to go out with the boys on Saturday and play army and you've got an armory with army trucks and a cannon at the end of the street.

When I was a kid this was a new brand new building. Before that it was a dirty, faded, wooden bike shop run by a scary looking old guy with a crew cut.